Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Nose Bridge

I saw the Nose Bridge for the first time at a Sylvia Bishop seminar. I was impressed by this behavior, but I missed the true importance of it and the reason for teaching it.

Recently at a Celeste Meade seminar I saw the Nose Bridge presented again. Celeste explained the Nose Bridge as an ACTIVE STATE (a JOB) the dog preforms while in heel position. The Nose Bridge gives the dog something to DO while in heel position rather than just passively watching. I really like this idea, I also really enjoyed how Celeste taught the Nose Bridge.

So now I am re-inspired, and this time I am in the process of teaching the Nose Bridge behavior to my dogs. Celeste has recently posted some training videos on her website. Among them are three videos detailing the various stages of teaching the Nose Bridge. For more information on the Nose Bridge and how to teach it, see:

http://www.americank9country.com/ak9c-tips.html

And if you are likewise inspired, you are welcome to join me in teaching this behavior to your dogs.

Here is a video by Linda Koutsky showing how the nose bridge is used in competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment