Friday, July 31, 2009

Keys to Success from Petra Ford

Petra Ford and Tyler won the 2008 AKC National Obedience Invitational. Perta Ford was interviewed by Vita Allison (Dog Sport (Volume 8, Number 4, July/August 2009). Vita asked her what she thought the key to success in this sport was. Pertra answered:

1. Having great trainers! Without my trainers there is no doubt in my mind that Tyler and I would never have come this far.

2. Building a great relationship with your dog. You want to have an equal partnership. It is a trainer's job to be fair, consistent, and build confidence in the dog.

3. Attention to detail without nagging - to be competitive in this sport you must have an eye for detail, but it is very important not to nag or drill the dog.

4. Quality is more important than quantity. I don't always train my dog for a long period of time. I makes sure that my training time is memorable.

Below is video of Petra Ford and Tyler doing Utility in the final round of the National Obedience Invitational.


1 comment:

  1. I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity is so fantastic and working style so speedy. I think it may be help all of you. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beautiful blog with me. I appreciate it very much! Looking forward to another great blog. Good luck to the author! All the best!

    ReplyDelete