Sunday, July 5, 2009

Results of Training

In her book "Building A Bridge from Training to Testing" written with Shalini Bosbyshell, Marsha Smith writes;


The results of your training are based on:
Dog Talent + Human Talent + Time Spent Practicing.

where talent is the capacity or ability to perform the exercises, a combination of natural aptitude and learned skills.


This quote is one of the many parts of this book that has stayed with me. I really like it and I believe it is probably true. I like the idea that no matter what type of dog you have, and no matter your own short comings as a trainer, if you spend enough time thoughtfully practicing, you can attain a high level of success in your training. On the other hand remember that no matter how great your ability as a trainer and how talented your dog, if you don't spend time training, practicing, and working at becoming a team, you will not be pleased with the results. Which reminds me -- it is time to go practice with my dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment