Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mixed Breeds in AKC

Regarding:
http://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=3810


I guess it was too much to hope that AKC might follow the lead of EVERY OTHER performance venue in existence in the USA and allow mixed breeds to compete on equal terms as pure breeds. If that had happened I would happily be first in line to register my mixed breeds with AKC in Oct and start sending in my entry fees for AKC events. However as it stands, I won't be competing in AKC with my mixed breed dogs and I honestly can't imaging that a lot of people with mixed breed dogs who live in my area of the country will compete in AKC. If the dog training club I belong to decides to offer the mixed breed classes I would be SHOCKED if we got more than one or two exhibitors in them. Frankly there are just too many other venues available within a short driving distance where you can show your mixed breed dog on equal footing as everyone else to want to spend your money being segregated to the "back of the proverbial bus" in AKC.

However, that being said, I am supportive of anyone with a mixed breed dog who wants to take part in this program. You won't see me showing my mixes in AKC. But I do understand that there are kids involved in 4H for whom this is a good option and people who live in parts of the country where there are no other options available to mixed breed dogs. I can also understand someone who trains at a AKC club where they use AKC agility equipment and learn AKC obedience exercises. I know first hand the work involved in going the "extra" mile to fill in the differences in venues, equipment and exercises on your own time. And I understand how someone may opt to compete at the club where they train, on the equipment they know, doing the exercises they know. Even if it means doing it alone in a separate class, an optional class, and one only offered at stand alone events, not earning the same titles, and not being eligible for any national events. I can still understand this and I am forever supportive of anyone competing with a mixed breed.

I also hope that people who in the past felt pressure to ILP their mixed breed dogs as something they were not will now be proud to just call them mixed breeds. There is not one trial or one seminar I have attended where someone hasn't walked up to me and told me I should ILP my mixed breed dog. It isn't just other exhibitors either, I have been approached by seminar presenters, and AKC judges. I always think this is SO strange. He is a MIX ! There is nothing wrong with having a mixed breed dog. My dogs make ugly "whatever breed they could be photographed as" but a beautiful mixed up mess of what they are, they are special, unique, and totally and completely one of a kind. I am incredibly proud of that, of them!

Best,
Hanna Rao
owner of two mixed breeds and one pure bred dog.
H
as titled dogs in 6 different venues including AKC.

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2009/04/akc.html

more information on competing with mixed breeds available at: http://www.ambor.us/

1 comment:

  1. Please Note:
    To view the link on this page copy it and paste it into your browser this will work better than just clicking on it.

    ReplyDelete