Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A semi-new Endevor: Teaching Prancing

So even though I really should be focusing on training Rosco and Lola in utility, I have instead decide to teach them both to "prance" while heeling. I have long admired the "prance"-style heeling, and I always watch dogs that heel like this when they are in the ring. It is clear to me that for this to work:
* the dog's head must be up,
* all their weight must be in their rear
* their movement must be going up and down (rather than forward and back)
* and the dog must be in an extended trot,
all these components together will result in front legs flying and "prance"-style heeling.
I have played around with some different methods to teach this (including trying to teach it in the same way a Spanish trot is taught to horses) but so far have been only marginally dedicated and therefore marginally successful. Recently however, I found a great web site:
http://www.grammozis.de/Freeheeling.htm.
I am therefore going to re-up my efforts and really make a try for it this time. I figure I will give it six months and than see what I've got .... while still training utility of course ...... (procrastinating? -- never!)

2 comments:

  1. Please Note:
    To view the link on this page copy it and paste it into your browser this will work better than just clicking on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hanna - brought our prior Golden up to UDX, and now am interetsed in taking our next to "Prance"! Will report any progress here. Any new updates from your side?

    Roger B.

    ReplyDelete