Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Greatest Compliment

I believe that the greatest compliment that you can receive is to be told (by a friend or a stranger) that they really enjoy watching you and your dog working together.

It is nice to hear that "you do a good job teaching your dog" --- but that is a compliment directed to your ability as a handler.

It is also nice to hear that "your dog looks happy and obviously enjoys working" --- but that is a compliment directed toward your dog.

To hear that AS A TEAM you and your dog are a pleasure to watch --- is a compliment of your teamwork.

Happy Teamwork is an elusive and intangible element. It is built on mutual respect, fairness, and understanding.

I have given out this compliment two times. Each time to teams that I really enjoy watching who had an almost visible bond while working and who I find myself thinking about at later times.

I have also been fortunate enough to have received this compliment on six separate occasions. Three times from people I know and Three times from strangers. All these people went out of their way to approach me and tell me how much they enjoy watching me work with my dogs.

I consider this to be the Greatest Compliment and continue to strive to be worthy of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment