Monday, June 29, 2009

something to think about: Anticipation

I have been thinking about dogs Anticipating commands a lot recently. Mainly because I have been having a lot of trouble recently with Gwyneth anticipating commands in the ring.

Anticipation of commands is a huge problem for some dogs and doesn't seem to be much of a problem for others.

Even though it can be an NQ in the ring Anticipation is not a bad thing. The dog is working hard, thinking, and trying to do the right thing. Also many obedience exercises require anticipation, for example consider a drop on recall:
I set my dog up sitting at my side,
I command stay
I turn to face my dog, the dog MUST NOT anticipate the come command.
I command COME, the dog must come and MUST NOT anticipate the drop.
When I command DROP, the dog must drop and MUST anticipate the wait-in-a-down, and MUST NOT anticipate the next come command.
When I command COME, the dog must come and MUST anticipate the front and MUST anticipate the sit in front, but MUST NOT anticipate the finish.
I command FINISH, the dog must finish and MUST anticipate the sit in heel position.

This jumble of commands you want the dog to anticipate along side commands you do not want the dog to anticipate are a part of every obedience exercise. Think about the auto-sit during the heeling exercises (anticipation wanted), the waiting to be sent on any type of retrieving (anticipation not wanted), sits on front and finishes (anticipation wanted), sits on go-outs (anticipation not wanted).

How you make these distinctions clear to a dog, like Gwyneth, who has a clear understanding of the open exercises and clearly knows what is coming next and in her attempt to do-the-right-thing is anticipating commands, is not clear to me.

What I have been doing:
* When Gwyneth anticipates I stop the exercise, and say something like "oh you are cheating" in playful and fun voice. (no correction - remember by anticipating she is trying to be right).
* Than I try again this time giving lots of praise for not anticipating, such as returning to her and saying "good stay" as I give a food reward.
* I also try to break the exercise up at the points of most anticipation, such as doing the front with no finish.

I am still not sure if these methods are making the situation as clear to her as I would like but I did want to place this thought about anticipation out there for you to consider in your own training.

No comments:

Post a Comment